Thursday, March 27, 2014

Marching On

Another thing that was going on this month was that Big got to play another season of basketball. They have combined practices and games twice a week, so the eight game season only takes a month. Pretty compacted schedule, but it's nice that it doesn't drag out too long. 

Watching Big play basketball is one of my favorite things to do. The unadulterated joy on his face as he plays makes me smile. Often, by the time his game is done, I will notice that my face hurts from smiling so much while I watch him. It just makes me so happy that he's finally able to do something that he has wanted to do pretty much since birth. 

I took photos at two of the games-- the first, Big's blood sugar was low and you can tell by how tired and run down he looks, the second I managed his blood sugar more effectively and he had a bit more pep. Plus, they were both morning games and mornings aren't really Big's thing. Anyway, from here I'll just let the photos do the talking.

The first:


The second:

Okay, so maybe I can't keep myself from further commentary. I took a lot more photos of the second game because Big played the whole thing. In the other game he got taken out hard and wouldn't play the second half. Not that this is a reason to comment, but I'm going to. Ha!

This game was right after he had a big rebounding game (10!) and Rophone talked to him about the importance of rebounding and good defense in addition to scoring. In this game Big worked hard at it all-- 10 points, 8 rebounds.


The pure joy, I tell you. I know that this isn't in focus, but just look at his face. Look at it. That's what it's all about.



We were heading to Ginger's soccer game after his game was over, so Big brought along a pair of sweatpants to put on. He had me toss them to him while he was on the 'bench' so he could wrap them around his neck and mop at his sweat like he has seen NBA players do with towels while they're sitting out. Awesome.


As he was standing waiting to be put back in the game I realized that he stands just like his dad. So cute.


Crashing the boards.


Big made a few shots from surprisingly far out, considering his age and everything.


Here, his coach is congratulating him and they're laughing about how far out he was when he took the shot. When his coach asked him why he took the shot from so far out Big replied, "Well, I picked up my dribble and no one was open to pass to, so I figured I'd go for it." I'm happy about how well he understands the game and that he doesn't get flustered out there even though he's only in 1st grade. So great.


Working hard on defense:


I'm really kind of bummed that Big finishes his season this week. I can't wait until next time! Way to play, Big!

4 comments:

patti's place said...

He is so enthusiastic. It's great to see; thanks Jana for capturing it all in photos. Is this a 1st and 2nd grade team? The kid next to the coach is really tall.

The Adventures of Six Petes said...

Hey Sis--this reminds me, somehow, of watching you play when we were kids. Awesome, awesome pictures. You can tell he listens to instruction--hands straight up on defense, nice follow through on the shot, etc. Great job, Mom and Dad.

The Laundry Queen said...

Yes, Mom, it's a 1st and 2nd grade team, although Big and the really short kid were the only two who weren't in 2nd. The girl next to the coach is his daughter-- the coach is about 6'2" and his wife is probably 6' or 6' 1", hence the tall kid. :)

Jennifer said...

HE. TOTALLY. ROCKS. How fun!!! Love the photos!